First post has to be one of my favourite food groups… SOUP!
This recipe is simple, full of flavour, and makes for a perfect lunch just add a good piece of bread, a drizzle of olive oil and some simple greens.
8 cups organic vegetable stock
6 kaffir lime leaves, fresh or frozen
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 yellow onion- diced
1 tbsp sea salt
3 lemon grass stalks
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp minced ginger
half a teaspoon thai red curry paste (thai kitchen brand)
1 tbsp ground corriander
2 lbs organic carrots
1 X 398 ml can coconut milk
2 tsp sambal oelek
1 tsp minced lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon
chopped cilantro leaves
1. Heat the stock while preparing ingredients. Add the lime leaves and keep warm.
2. cut lemongrass stalk 4 inches from root end – discard the top and peel the outer layer from the bottom piece. Using a large broad-bladed knife or bottom of pot smash the lemongrass. Mince the lightly crushed lemongrass and set aside.
3. Heat oil add onion and salt and cook until onions translucent. Then add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, curry paste and coriander, saute and stir 5 minutes. Stir in chopped carrots and remaining salt, sauté for several minutes then pour into hot stock. Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots are soft
4. Remove the lime leaves and puree the soup until smooth. Whisk in coconut milk and sambel oelek and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
5. Just before serving add lemon zest juice and season to taste with salt or more sambel.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. serves 6-8