Serves 10-12: Adapted from Silver Palate Cookbook (my favourite cookbook EVER!)
butter for greasing the pan
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups corn oil
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1 1/3 cups mashed cooked carrots
3/4 of a cup drained, crushed pineapple
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temp
6 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp
3 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease two 9 inch springform pans (I usually use two round cake pans).
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well. Fold in the pecans, coconut, carrots, and pineapple.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Set on the center rack of the oven and bake until edges have pulled away from the sides and cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean. Approximately 50 minutes.
4. Cool on a cake rack for 3 hours. Fill and frost the cake with the cream cheese icing.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
1. Cream together cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
2. Slowly sift in icing sugar and continue beating until mixture is free from lumps.
3. Stir in vanilla and lemon juice (can add more to taste).