3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
4 large leeks, white part only, well cleaned and thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped shallots
3 green onions roughly chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
4 cups chicken stock
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp Calvados Apple Brandy (optional-makes soup outstanding)
toasted crouton, grated gryuere and chives for garnish
note carmalized onions added on top make soup dinner party worthy!
1. Melt butter and oil in pot and add onions, leeks, shallots, garlic and green onion and cook, covered on low heat till vegetables are tender and lightly coloured, about 20 minutes.
2. Add stock, thyme and bay leaf and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
4. In a food processor or blender puree soup until smooth.
5. Return puree to pot and set over medium heat. Whisk in cream and Calvados and simmer for 5 minutes. Ladel into bowls and garnish with croutons, cheese, chives and carmalized onions.