3 cups arborio risotto rice
8 cups of chicken stock
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large yellow pepper, diced
1/ 1/2 cups frozen peas
4 plum tomatoes, diced and seeded
1/2 4 oz can of tomato paste
16 large shrimp, peeled, tail on
8 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
4 links of chorizo sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
2-3 tablespoons fresh thyme
1 tablespoon paprika
1 good sized pinch saffron
3 lemons, quartered
mussels and clams steamed seperately in white wine, lemon juice and garlic
1. It is critical to have all your ingredients prepared before you start cooking.
2. In a separate pot put chicken stock, a bit of rosemary, a tiny pinch of saffron and a bit of thyme and keep stock hot but not boiling.
3. Coat the bottom of the paella pan with olive oil.
4. Brown your chorizo over high heat for 1-2 minutes. Do not fully cook, just get the outside well browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
5. Brown chicken thighs for 4-5 minutes. they should not be fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
6. Brown garlic, onion, peppers, until softened, then add plum tomatoes and peas shortly before mixture is finished.
7. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the half can of tomato paste. Caramelize it flipping it and spreading it until it begins to loosen ( 1-2 minutes over high heat).
8. Mix all of the vegetables and meats together with the caramelized tomato paste then add, paprika, parsley and thyme.
9. Add rice, mixing together and stirring as the rice browns (1 – 1 1/2 minutes) and mix in the saffron. Make sure to break it between your fingers and stir it into release the oils.
10. When the rice is slightly translucent add enough chicken stock to cover the whole mixture, if its been kept warm, it will begin to boil almost immediately. Lower to a medium heat but keep it at a steady boil.
11. Stir a few times in the first 5-10 minutes adding broth as necessary to keep the rice fully covered. After this you must let the paella SIT and let it cook another 10-20 minutes adding broth bit by bit to keep the rice submerged until the riced on top is al dente.
12. Once you stir the paella for the last time when you have 8 mins left to cook lay the shrimp on top turning over 2-3 minutes to cook the other side.
13. When the rice on top is still quite al dente, take paella off the heat and cover. You must let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Patience is the key.
14. Once you are sure its ready to uncover, garnish with mussels and clams that have been cooked in wine, lemon juice and garlic in separate pot and lemon wedges.