1 stick of unsalted butter.
4 oz. good quality unsweetened chocolate coarsely chopped. ( I use Bakers chocolate-each square is an oz.)
1 cup , packed light brown sugar.
1/2 cup sugar.
1 Tbsp. Vanilla
2 large eggs.
1 cup all-purpose flour.
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder.
1 Tbsp. cinnamon.
1/4 tsp. cayenne.
1 tsp. chili powder.
1/2 tsp. baking soda.
1/2 tsp. salt.
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- In a small pot melt the butter and chocolate together, whisking until glossy and smooth. Do this over medium to low heat. Cool the chocolate to room temp.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla and eggs until well combined. Pour in the cooled chocolate and continue to mix until ingredients evenly distributed.
- In a medium bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, baking soda, salt and cayenne pepper. Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate batter and mix on low-speed until just combined and no visible flour remains.
- Fold in the chocolate chips .
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop about 2 Tbsp of dough into balls and place on a parchment (or silpat) lined cookie sheet, leaving at least 1 1/2 inches of space between cookies. ( I use my hand to flatten balls slightly)
- Bake the cookies ,one pan at a time, for 14 minutes. The cookies will be puffy and still fairly soft when out of the oven. Let cool on drying rack.
- Recipe adapted from the Cooking Chanel.