Adapted from Spoon, Fork, Bacon
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pounds lean ground beef
2 links chorizo sausage, skins removed
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chipotle powder, or chili powder
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
1/4 tomato paste
1 cup tomato sauce (Add water if needed)
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp light brown sugar
dash Worcestershire (Optional)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp mustard powder
1 1/4 cup half and half (Or whole milk)
1/2 cup grated old cheddar
1/2 cup grated jalapeno Monterey jack
6 crunchy taco shells
1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Heat oil over medium high heat and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Add beef and chorizo and saute, breaking up into small pieces and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Stir in spices, tomato paste and tomato sauce and stir until combined and meats are cooked through.
- Lower heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. If mixutre is too thick add water to thin. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For cheese sauce, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mustard powder and whisk together cooking for 2 minutes. Whisk milk into mixture and continue to whisk until no lumps remain and mixture thickens. Whisk cheeses into mixture one at a time allowing cheese to melt completely before adding more. Remove from heat.
- Assemble, fill tacos with ground beef followed by cheese sauce, lettuce and tomato. Serve immediately.
Got something to say? Go for it!